Sunday, May 8, 2016

Blueberry Banana Bread

 
 Wow, the weather is soooo beautiful right now in Florida. The heat of the summer is just around the corner so I am trying to get out there and enjoy it while I can. Right now it is blueberry season, woohoo! 

We went a pickin' this week. The berries still have some ripening to do but we got enough to do some baking. Aren't they gorgeous?!




I love Southern Hill Farms. It's close to home, they have several different types of berries and best of all they have a little shop that sells stuff! Along with my blueberry lemonade I picked up this blueberry chapstick. It smells soooo good!


I have some rotting bananas on my counter top that I would never dream of tossing cuz you know what that means....banana bread!! I used my tried but true banana bread recipe and threw in a cup of blueberries. So taaaasty! 
The bread is a very old fashioned and easy recipe. I've tried tons of banana bread recipes, some with oil, some with shortening and some with butter. Some fancy pantsy recipes with creme fraiche and some with good ole sour cream. This one is my fav. It can be mixed by hand and in one bowl. It's always super tender, not too sweet and doesn't stick to the pan on me. I think the key is the bananas. They have to be beyond ripe. Like to the point where you do not want to touch them because they look so nasty ripe. To the point where you think they are too far gone and might be liquefied ripe.  To the to the point that you have a flock of fruit flies ringing your door bell ripe. Yeah, like that.

The recipe is foolproof and easy or as The Bellman would say, "easy peasy Doc and Sneezy". I love it!!


BLUEBERRY BANANA BREAD
Yield = 1 loaf

3 bananas 
6 TBL melted butter 
1 C cup sugar 
1 egg, beaten 
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract 
1 tsp baking soda 
1/4 tsp cinnamon 
salt, pinch 
1 1/2 C flour + 2 TBL (separated) 
1 C blueberries 

1. Preheat the oven to 350 and butter a loaf pan. Really butter it--not that spray stuff or shortening.  I swear it makes a difference.

2. Toss fresh blueberries with about 2 tablespoons of flour and set aside. This will coat them enough to keep them from sinking to the bottom of your batter.

3. In a large mixing bowl, mash the ripe bananas with a fork until completely smooth. Stir in the melted butter.

4. Mix in the baking soda and salt and cinnamon. 

5. Stir in the sugar, beaten egg, and vanilla extract. 

6. Fold in the flour until just combined. (be gentle:)

7. Fold in the blueberries

8. Pour into buttered loaf pan and bake for 55-60 minutes.

9. Remove from oven. When the pan is cool enough to handle, remove the loaf from the pan onto a rack and let cool for approx. 1 hour. When the loaf is almost room temperature wrap it up in tin foil. The remaining warmth will steam the loaf making it really moist and tender.


*this recipe is great without the blueberries, too.  Try leaving them out and adding a handful of walnuts, yum!


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment